Well, that escalated quickly.
After reading 126 books in 2017, I ended up reading 153 books in 2018, shattering my reading goals two years in a row. (And that doesn’t even count all the manuscripts I read for my day job at Lanternfish Press.)
With that in mind, I decided to set a goal for 150 books in 2019, a goal I think I can easily meet based on my reading habits of the past few years.
In 2018, I read #3 nonfiction books and %3 book in genres I don’t typically read, meaning I didn’t meet my goal of #7 nonfiction and %5 in other genres. This year, I’ll aim to read #7 nonfiction and %5 books in genres I don’t usually read (not counting nonfiction, of course) to see if I can hit my goals this year. I’ll also be participating in the Long Distance Reading Challenge created by my friend Amber, who works at Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh, NC.
View this post on Instagram
I got frustrated that nearly every #readingchallenge was for readers very different from me and my friends. We already make a point to read marginalized authors and stories, and genre fiction, and different age ranges. And it didn't feel like much of a challenge to read a book with a blue cover or a title with a number in it. HENCE the Long Distance Readership #LDRCHALLENGE2019 was born! Allowing for Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Raleigh to come together in bookish nerddom. Feel free to join @felizacasano, @london_emi, and me in our attempt to read a bit wider and catch up on things we missed while still staying true to our diverse preferences. There are even extra challenges for the overachievers! For 3 & 4, we each picked a book the other two have to read, which should be interesting. Get a few friends to do it with you and make the experience even greater!
You can find a record of my side of the challenge on my Instagram account–I’ll be keeping highlights in my Instagram Stories.
Let me know what your 2019 reading goals are in the comments!
I support independent bookstores. Take a minute to check out IndieBound to find your nearest local indie.
- [January] Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (Amalgam Monthly Book Club)
- The Girl King (ARC) by Mimi Yu
- Echo North (ARC) by Joanna Ruth Meyer
- Dragon Pearl (ARC) by Yoon Ha Lee
- One Week Friends, Vol. 1 by Matcha Hazuki
- One Week Friends, Vol. 2 by Matcha Hazuki
- The Calculating Stars* by Mary Robinette Kowal (Girls in Capes Book Club)
- Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Sadness Prayer, Vol. 3 by Magica Quartet and Mura Kuroe
- The Cerulean (ARC) by Amy Ewing
- So I’m a Spider, So What? (light novel) Vol. 1 by Okina Baba
- [February] * Monstress, Vol. 1 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda
- Monstress, Vol. 2 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda
- Monstress, Vol. 3 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda
- Bingo Love by Tee Franklin (Amalgam Monthly Book Club)
- Crown of Feathers (ARC) by Nicki Pau Preto
- Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Sadness Prayer, Vol. 4 by Magica Quartet and Mura Kuroe
- Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse
- Zero Sum Game by S.L. Huang
- Say I Love You., Vol. 1 by Kanae Hazuki
- Say I Love You., Vol. 2 by Kanae Hazuki
- Everfair* by Nisi Shawl (Girls in Capes Book Club)
- Four Dead Queens (ARC) by Astrid Scholte (waiting)
- The Women’s War (ARC) by Jenna Glass (waiting)
- So I’m a Spider, So What? (light novel) Vol. 2 by Okina Baba (in progress)
- The Wolf in the Whale (ARC) by Jordanna Max Brodsky (in progress)
- Black Leopard Red Wolf (ARC) by Marlon James (waiting)
- How Long ‘Til Black Future Month? Stories (ARC) by N.K. Jemisin (waiting)
- Bloodleaf (ARC) by Crystal Smith (waiting)
- Riverland (ARC) by Fran Wilde (waiting)
- The Life of Captain Marvel by Margaret Stohl (Amalgam Monthly Book Club) (waiting)
- A Memory Called Empire (ARC) by Arkady Martine (waiting)
- Red Sister* by Mark Lawrence (waiting)
- Grey Sister* by Mark Lawrence (waiting)
- Holy Sister (ARC) by Mark Lawrence (waiting)
- Upon a Burning Throne (ARC) by Ashok K. Banker (waiting)
- The Tiger at Midnight (ARC) by Swati Teerdhala (waiting)
- There’s Something About Sweetie (ARC) by Sandhya Menon (waiting)
- Patron Saints of Nothing (ARC) by Randy Ribay (waiting)
- Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson (in progress)
- Weregirl by C.D. Bell (waiting)
- Empire of Sand (ARC) by Tasha Suri (waiting)
- There Before the Chaos (ARC) by K.B. Wagers (waiting)
- Fireworks (ARC) by Shunji Iwai and Hitoshi One (waiting)
- Armistice by Lara Elena Donnelly (in progress)
- # Genghis Khan: His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy by Frank McLynn (in progress)
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab (waiting)
- The Book of Joan by Lidia Yuknavitch (in progress)
- The Queens of Innis Lear (ARC) by Tessa Gratton (in progress)
- % Migritude by Shailja Patel (in progress)
So far, I’ve completed #0 nonfiction books and %0 books in genres I don’t usually read.
* purchased at Main Point Books in Wayne, Pennsylvania
Last updated 24 February 2019